Thursday, March 1, 2007

Lot's of Thoughts

I have a cone of a linen/cotton blend sport weight ribbon and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I have started knitting a shawl with it....several times, then frogged it each time. Now I still just have a cone of yarn and no clue what to do with it. I did have an idea today of making a raglan, lacy sweater for the beach. The neckline would fall off the shoulders, like a Bridget Bardot kind of sweater. I thought it would be fabulous, but I wonder how far I will get before changing my mind and wind up frogging it again.
Always, I always, always, always am thinking about a better way of rearranging my furniture and I'm never happy with the way my house is decorated. I feel once it is done I will know it and wll be able to sit in a room without thinking about what else I could do with it. My mind has been racing since we moved here. It began racing even more once we got rid of our old furniture and bought a new sofa. I'm a cozy kind of person. I like rolled arms, cozy fabrics, textures and muted colors. Because I have kids I also like the worn look on wood furniture and love dark woods. We got rid of a HUGE white cotton sofa and chair in favor for a square armed leather manhattan style sofa. Very modern. I like modern, but it does have a cold feeling. You can like a style, but be unable to live in it. At first I though that was going to be the case with this sofa, but I have found that I can mix styles to cozy it up AND the sofa redeemed itself by being a comfotable place for a nap. It also can be cleaned with a wet sponge AND all the pillows and cushions are sewn together and down so nothing can fall inbetween the cushions and my kids can never take the cushions off (unless they rip my couch). Anyone with kids will tell you that this is the perfect couch. I am happier now after living with it for awhile and just have to find a way to warm everything up so that I can love the space and not just the sofa. What kind of chair do you pair with this? I don't want another leather piece and I don't want things to look too matchy matchy. Makes me wish that my mom was here because she always could be counted on to hit the thrift stores and I knew she would look for the same kinds of things that I wanted. I need a coffee table and a rug. I have tile floor and really want a soft rug that is easy to clean. Something that I could throw into the wash would be great and I have seriously thought about knitting something. It would take a lot of time and a lot of money. What to use though? I need a fiber that will last and something that can be thrown into the washing machine about once every two weeks. Anyone have any ideas let me know. I can always stick a rug pad underneath and..... woohoo!.....instant rug!
Being creative I've also been wanting to whip out my sewing machine. It's really old and I got it when my mom bought a new one because she couldn't get it to work. After reading up on machines I think she may have just had the tension wrong, but then I can't remember what it was doing wrong. If I can get it to work I would love to learn how to quilt. I think that and knitting are the best two crafts because you are making things that your family can wear and use and can pass down for generations (and sell for thousands after finding out it's worth on Antiques Roadshow).
I HATE PEACH! Sorry I had to say that just because I saw someone making pillows in a peach fabric on HGTV. Peach reminds me of the eightiesand i have yet to see anyones house in a decorating magazine in 80's retro. Maybe as a before picture, but definitely not as an after. My bathrooms are tiled in peach and it seriously ticks me off. I can't do anything about it because it's the tile! ARGHHHHHHHH! I just don't like peach :-P
Still clicking away on the sweater for myself. This is the original in the magazine: Vogue Spring/Summer 2006 (don't have the picture right now due to missing camera, but hope it is soon on the way). Of course the model looks fabulous in it. I have modified it a bit. I have decided to add increases. The original just decreases so that the bust is smaller then the bottom . That may be okay for some but my hip and bust measurements are the same so I'm decreasing for the waist and then increasing for my boobs........because I have them. I think most patterns are made with model proportions in mind and they have little boobs. That's great.....sometimes I wish I had little boobs........jogging would be more comfortable, they wouldn't get in my way when I reach for things, spills and drops wouldn't hit my "shelf" while eating, and gravity wouldn't seem like such a cruel law.......but most times I wish designers would include big boobies. That's the great thing about knitting though....you can modify to fit and it's not that difficult. That's not something that I can say about clothes that I buy in the store. I always have to have the waist taken in and finding button up shirts is a nightmare!!! Bathing suits....even worse!!! Thank you knitting! I can make it the way I want it and it will look fabulous on me and not just a model. Sweet!!

No comments: