Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On

We can add another knitter to our ranks. I have brought Amanda over to the knit side. So far she's working on her garter stitch and I gave her a technique book so that she can start on her purl stitch if she wants to. From past experience I think it'll be easier for her to get the rhythm of knitting first. I knew she was hooked when on her fifth row of struggling she actually looked up and said "This is fun.... and relaxing." When she picked up her kids from my house yesterday I asked if she had knitted anymore she said that she had but had to frog a few rows after finding a mistake. She had set it down after that to let it "rest" before tackling it again. I think every knitter does that. Once you get the stitches back onto the needle, your frustration has grown that you just want to set it aside for awhile.
We had an earthquake this morning. It was a big deal because I've been the only one to feel the earthquakes that we've had since we've been here. They seem to occur early in the morning and my hubby sleeps like a rock. I think he thought I was being paranoid until the day of the Super Bowl the neighbors were able to verify that there had indeed been an earthquake at 4 in the morning. I have a tendency to know it's going to happen a second before it does and it wakes me. I don't know why, maybe there's a subtle shift or groan or something that can tip off some. I was still sleeping this morning at 8 when I woke suddenly feeling "funny". I quickly knew why, about a second before the shaking started and I jumped up to look for the kids. Turns out only Charlie was up and he was downstairs with hubby. It was the strongest earthquake I've felt since we've been here and lasted about 3-4 seconds....which is a good bit of time for an earthquake. The kids have never been awake for an earthquake either so I had jumped out of bed to be there in case it scared them. Lola was still in bed, but Charlie was up and he seemed to think the cat had something to do with all the shaking. I went back to bed. On days when the hubby is home...that's my day off. Lately it's only been one day out of the week so I take advantage of it as much as possible. Usually we all go out together so I don't really ever get the day off......no mother ever does, but it does afford me the chance to sleep in and not have to cook or clean for the day. The hubby makes the meals (he likes to cook), but doesn't really clean so tomorrow I'll hve twice as many dishes to do, but I'll enjoy my "time off" today and maybe go off on my own later and see a movie or grab a latte and a book.

No comments: