Monday, March 5, 2007

Crazy Waves

It's been rainy for the past few days and we've been stuck inside. It's even....should I dare say it......cold. Most people, okay probably everyone will scoff at this comment since it's the first week of March and it's in the lower 80's to upper 70's here, but when you're used to upper 80's and a very close, hot sun then it can feel downright chilly when it's overcast and 10 degrees cooler then normal. The ocean has been fabulously rough and my friend, Amanda, and I stopped after our weekly latte and watched the waves crashing in. We stopped at Asan Beach and watched as these huge waves with beautiful aqua colored pipes rolled and then crashed into one of the many rock formations, tiny islands, that sit right off the coast. The foam would splash about 100 feet into the air, no lie. We were also in the back part of the parking lot which they had cornered off with tiny cones because it was obvious the water had come up that far at one point. I'll have to get pictures as soon as I can find my camera, which hopefully will be in the next few days before the rough surf disappears. It is a marvelously scary sight to behold. We ventured into the marked off area for a few minutes, but quickly retreated as even bigger waves came in causing waves in the normally waveless cove. LARGE WAVES in the normally waveless cove. The water came up over the beach and towards us. It didn't quite reach but we knew enough to get the heck out of there.
My silk/cotton sweater has been put on hold momentarily as I have been knitting with the colorful Lumpy for the past few days. I've been fashioning it into a throw. I know this will take more then the two skeins that I presently have, but I have to do this a little at time. The Lumpy is more expensive then I would normally pay per skein, but the colors were so fabulous that I couldn't resist. I have been toying with the idea of buying some Koigu to make some socks (especialy with the cooler weather) which costs the same per skein as the Lumpy Bumpy, but you get a pair of socks with two skeins and that's all you need. Whereas with the Lumpy it's going to take several more to get a good sized throw and I'm not even going to try to caluculate how much it will cost me in the end. This is probably some sort of knitting sacrelige, but I have yet to knit a pair of socks. Most knitter's I know of usually have a pair working on some dpn's at all times. I have trouble working with dpn's and prefer the magic loop, but I had to learn how to use it in a sock pattern first so my intro into socks were delayed. I have knit a sock with dpn's (that's how I know I have a problem with dpn's....it's like wrestling with a porcupine!), but it was a small sock. It wasn't supposed to be, but somehow it became small. Instead of fitting me it fit Lola, who was three at the time. She loves that sock and has on more then one occassion been seen walking around with one barefoot and the other foot sporting the lone sock. It's about time I knit her a pair and Koigu has so many colors that it would be a shame not to. I'm usually a neutral kind of girl, but have been experiencing an explosion in interest for intense hand dyed colors. They are so pretty.

No comments: