Thursday, March 8, 2007

Small Socks

Still no camera. It has been sucked off the face of the earth I think. No one seems to know what has happened to it. The hubby said he remembers seeing it "tucked" somewhere. Great. As soon as I find it there will be pictures. Amanda kindly offered the use of her camera to help me in my time of need. I'm kind of hoping that I don't find it because I've been meaning to upgrade and this would give me an excuse to do it sooner then later (everyone back home needs pictures, honey, so can I have lots of money to buy a new one?).
Speaking of Amanda, I think our search for the perfect caramel macchiatto has come to an end.....sort of. Our local bookstore has provided us with a wonderful young lady...an angel...who can procure a fabulous macchiatto and after only one visit remembers that Amanda likes hers with caramel drizzled on top and I don't. She only works two days though....sometimes three, and we're never guaranteed that we'll get "latte breaks" on the days that she works. Sigh! The search continues for someone else who can make a good one on the days when our angel isn't working. I also finally broke someone down. Amanda has agreed to learn how to knit. She in turn is going to teach me how to hotwire my sewing machine (the affectionate name I gave to threading the thread through the various threading devices) and teach me the basics of sewing. I see a beautiful quilt in my future.
The sweater is still currently on hold. It's a semi boring pattern with all the ribbing that seems to take forever to eek out one inch on so I have gone onto other projects that I can start and finish within a few days. I'm still working the Lumpy into a throw and have almost used up the first skein. It's standard stockinette, but I slip the first stitch of each row to try to prevent rolling. The handspun wool goes from thick to thin so as it has progressed I'm finding it gives a nice wazy border all around. I work a few rows everyday, but the last few days I have been busy poking a hole in my index finger......I mean knitting a sock. I started hoping to knit the second sock for Lola so that she would finally have a pair. I still had the yarn from the first sock, but couldn't find my size 2 needles. A problem.....or not. I decided to knit Charlie a pair using the size 1s that I have so it turned out to be an even smaller sock. It fits him. I'm happy to say I kitchenered the toe this morning.......the wrong way. My brain misread "wrong sides together" and I thought I had to turn it inside out. Oh well. I'll fix it tomorrow and begin work on the second sock. Hopefully I can find my size 2s although I think they are still in the states at my mom's house awaiting their shipment to Guam. sigh and double sigh. All hope is not lost though. I did order Koigu for Charlie and Lola and I can knit them both a pair using the 1s as soon as it arrives. Lola will have a pair of socks made by my hand before ....the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I have to give my index finger time to heal. I have learned that you have to ease into knitting with tiny needles and allow a callus to develop. Otherwise all your knitting becomes painful.

No comments: