Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Steroids

Here lately I've been sick with something. It's attacking my skin and I feel like I'm fallling apart. Then there is all the itching. And itching. And more itching that is driving me insane, making it impossible to sleep for more then two or three hours before I have to take more Benadryl which really only takes the edge off the itching. I had to finally go a week without any Benadryl because I was afraid I was going to OD on it, that and it started giving me a hangover feeling. I did find that knitting helps stop the itching. Probably for the same reason that meditating or deep breathing would. It's something repetitive that I can focus on instead of the itching. But today I was fortunate (I hope) to be prescribed steroids to help get rid of the itching and pain that has become my skin. A few weeks ago one of the medicines that they tried me on gave me a wonderful allergic reaction and hince all the itching. I'm hoping this will work and I'm slotted to see a dermatologist. They think all my problems stem from an allergy. Actually several allergies and they're trying to find a way to get my skin to stop freaking out. I am grateful that I don't have some kind of flesh eating disease, but this is also no walk in the park. I've finally been forced to stop all activity because anything I do will make me itch or will make me a howling, twitching freak as I try to keep from scratching the intense itching that is my whole body because scratching it just brings burning pain from which there is no relief. My hubby witnessed this last night (he's been stuck on a ship for the past week and hadn't yet seen to what extent the itching intensified) and called to make me an appointment early this morning while he let me sleep in to gain the few extra hours of peace that I could. That's saying a lot because my hubby usually does for himself and lets me do for myself. He must have thought I needed some serious help. I've been on steroids before. In fact the last time that I had a reaction to a drug that I was on several years ago. That is a funny story too. I was 18 at the time and was on an antibiotic for a sinus infection. I had noticed a few hives on the insides of my arms and legs, but didn't know what they were. I was feeling aweful....like I was coming down with the flu. My body didn't want to move and I had a headache and all that jazz. I went to the doctor and they said I had hives and gave me steroids. I went straight home without getting my steroids because I felt so bad and just wanted to sleep. I hit the bed and knocked out hard. When I woke in the morning I felt great. I remember upon waking thinking that maybe I didn't need the steroid. Then I pulled back the covers. The only thought that came to mind was " OH MY GOD!" There were hives all down my legs and all over my arms and hands. I ran to the mirror. My face was bright red and my neck had a rash. I started pulling off clothes saying "Oh MY GOD!" with each piece because everything was covered in hives. Then came the realization that I still had to go out in public and get the steroid. That was one of those times when I just had to crack up laughing. I strutted into public not caring because what else was I going to do (although I did make my friend come with me for moral support). Then at the pharmacy the woman took my insurance card without looking at me and started asking me questions. When she got to "Do you have any allergies to any medications?" I stayed quiet until she looked up and replied "That would be a yes......" It was pretty darn funny. And it only took a month and a half for all the hives to finally go away (ha ha.....not really......ha ha). The itching goes away after the steroids and I'm hoping this is the same. Actually I wish I didn't have any problems with my skin. Especially since you can't hide behind sweaters and jeans here. You would die within an hour from heat exhaustion.
Our car broke down.......again. Same problem. The clutch cable. The mechanic kept complaining that the cable was an inch too long which can't be because it's a genuine Saab clutch cable......so that means they're missing another piece or they're putting it on wrong. It didn't feel like it broke, but it feels like it stretched out and it's now difficult to impossible to get it into gear. I was able to jam it into first and get it home and we called for a rental car. Luckily we already have our loan money and are in the process of buying another car from the guy that we rent cars from. Right now we're renting this SUV and I've never driven an SUV before. I'm all of five foot nothing and I'm not used to looking down on the world. I like it. I almost don't want to give the vehicle back. But I also can't afford to keep renting it......well we can, but there's something we can get cheaper and who doesn't like to save some money.

No comments: