Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Rain in Spain......


Lots of rain here. They should call it monsoon season. I actually heard thunder the other day and today I saw lightening AND heard thunder. I was beginning to wonder if they actually had thunderstorms. Most of the rain here comes sans thunder and lightning. The rain offers plenty of time to finish knitting projects and pick up new ones.
I finished my create-a-long. I took this picture with the camera that's on my computer so it's a little hard to make out detail, but you get the general idea. I'm proud of it. I also have enough Tahki cotton classic to try and make a cardigan for Lola. I'll soon find out if the five skeins I have left are enough or not. I really want to order some sport weight burgandy and gold yarn and knit up a Harry Potter scarf that I can wear to the veiwing of Order of the Pheonix and while reading book seven (Deathly Hallows). It would definitely keep me busy. I feel I have been very productive. I managed to knit four socks, a tank top, dress, silk sweater and a shrug (that I later frogged) all since I have been here. I don't think I have made anything for hubby or Charlie and have to rectify that by making Charlie something Harry Potterish, Spidermanish,or Piratey. Hubby's already slotted for a sweater (curse be darned) and I'll make both as soon as I find and order the perfect yarn. The perfect yarn can be hard to find. Firstly it needs to be machine washable. Then it also has to be tough and long lasting. I have a chenille blanket that I bought from Target that is already thread bare and falling apart. I woke up with string wrapped around my arm and my toes poking through one of the six holes that have appeared in the seven months that I have had the darn thing. Shoddy craftsmanship. I can do better......as soon as I find the perfect yarn (sigh!). It's difficult when you can't feel before you buy. I want something soft and washable. Double sigh. I need money first.
Our car is back in our possession although the front passenger side wheel feels like it's going to fall off everytime I go around a left hand curve and there is something rattling under my gas pedal that I'm guessing comes from something being put back in wrong or not tight enough when they were working on the clutch. It was making a noise like a bad muffler, but it's only audible inside the car and not outside which makes the exhaust seal is worn story not a good one. I'll be taking it back along with the repair manual and an offer of my help since I have worked on cars before. I think my decision to go back to school and become a mechanic is a good one even if other people seem to look down on it. There is a mechanic shortage, it's a good paying job AND it's a great skill to have since everyone has a car and need it repaired. In fact right now I know of three different families that are wishing they knew how to fix their own car right now (mine being one of them). I guess people look down because it's dirty manual labor. Which tells you how snobby our society has gotten. To me it's like working a puzzle and isn't really much different from my dream of being a doctor when I was younger. I'll be a car doctor.

No comments: