Thursday, May 3, 2007

Life on Island and Thoughts on Marriage

Still no car. We got our car back, but the clutch is missing two plastic pieces that hold the shifter in place and keep the clutch from spinning. I don't know how the hubby got it home, but we are now unable to move it from the garage because you can't shift into any gear except first. We already ordered the additional parts needed and hopefully everything will be fixed before next payday. This payday we were shorted again because the Navy says we owe them money. The reality is that they owe us money, but they never got the bill for the hotel (travel pay) that we sent them SEVEN TIMES. So we have to try again. I'm determined to get my money back. It's not the end of the world but I have a tendency of letting the little things get to me. If it were life or death I would probably be calm. Strange I know, but Im used to having to deal with the big things. That and it was just a bunch of things at once that seemed to be crashing down. One of those times when you think, " Good lord, what next?" It hit me all at once the other day and I had a panic attack. All the thoughts buzzing in my head made it hard to think or hear and it felt as if someone were suffocating me. I flipped out, I cried....I wanted to scream, hit and throw, but refrained from doing so....I guess that's a good thing. Like someone said, that's island life. It takes longer to get things done. We're so used to getting everything done right and right away that we freak when it doesn't happen, but real life is inconsistent and takes time. It builds character and patience.......at least that's what I keep telling myself. Adopt the island way of thinking and just relax.
I finished the silk sweater!!!! Yea!!!! My first sweater for myself. I like it, but I don't like it on me, but I'm still happy with it. It's a little thicker then I thought it would be which makes me look a little thicker (something I don't need help with at this moment in my life......all the ladies say amen). I might tighten the bind off a little more with some more decreases. It's an off the shoulder sweater, but with the weight of the sweater it feels like it's going to be an off the body sweater if I don't tighten up the yoke. Mom, you might be getting a sweater. It's not hot and it fits great and really is a great looking sweater. Downsides are I don't like the way it looks on me and I can't throw it in the wash because it's a hand wash only type of yarn. I need to knit me something with a DK or fingering weight yarn so that it's not so thick and would prefer something like a hoodie instead of over the head, but I feel a great sense of accomplishment of finishing the sweater and having it look the way it's supposed to. I even have some yarn left over. Enough for a matching hat for winter. Happy Mother's Day mom. You know what you're getting.
I'm thinking my next project will be a sweater for the hubby. Sweater curse be darned! His ship will be taking him to a few places where it might get cold and we've talked about going to Tokyo for a family trip (if we can afford it). Possibilities for cold there too. Speaking of the hubby, we're going to be celebrating our sixth anniversary in about a month. We've only been together for six years total since we only knew each other for a few weeks before getting married. Not a long time to really know someone in the great scheme of things, but I have learned a few things. One of them being that I love my hubby. You always think you're in love when you meet someone and everything is new and exciting, but that's not love. My grandma used to tell me that you learn what love is the longer that you're married (she has more then 50 years of experience with my grandpa so she should know). She's right. I also hit the lottery when I decided to marry him. We're both the kind to try to work things out (very important for a long marriage) and he's patient enough to put up with me. He's the angel of the marriage and has worked at bettering the things that he does (like leaving his socks on the floor and putting everything on top of the refrigerator where I can't find them). And the longer I'm with him the more I realize how good of a man he is. He does things subtley and it takes time to figure him out, but once you do you realize he's a great man who loves his family. I kind of knew it when I met his family and they were warm and inviting and you could tell that they all loved him very much. There are days when I realize what I have more then others and this is one of those days so I thought I would comment on it while he's still in good standing :-)
Can't wait to have a car and some money. There are some great movies coming out this month. All the threes. Spiderman 3, Shrek 3, and Pirates 3. Good things come in threes too I guess. They're having a midnight showing of Spiderman that we were thinking of going to (but we have no car now so can't). I think I'll get together with my neighbors and have a backyard barbeque. That's one thing that I can do and is more fun anyways. Living the island life.

No comments: