Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Perfection



I finished the baby blanket for my nephew a few months ago (in time for Christmas, in fact), but have waited sending it because my hubby said he wanted to buy something else and send it along with the blanket. I have decided to send it anyways (before the boy is too old for a blankie) and spent the weekend readying it for gifting. It needs a back because my weave ins are showing and I don't like that, so I bought a piece of fabric to back it with and washed both the blanket and the backing (seperately). I knew there was a chance that the colors would run and I was right.
I pulled it from the wash to find fuzz all over the inside of my washer and strewn all over the blanket, as well as greyish blocks where there were once white ones. I was almost ready to cry. Instead I sat down and hand picked all the fuzz off the blanket and found that most of the discoloration came from the halo of multicolor fuzz that was covering the blanket and that once all the fuzz was (mostly) gone that the blanket had a very soft, comfy, favorite broken in shirt kind of feel and now I love it more then before. 

While washing the blanket I decided to use the remaining yarn that I had left from it to make a hat for the boy. It came out near perfect (I was squealing with delight as my son tried it on and it fit perfectly). I'm thinking of washing it before sending it so that it'll be just as soft as the blankie. I might take another day and make little booties as well, but I think there has been enough of a delay in sending. I'm waiting to see if I can borrow a friend's sewing machine so I can sew the backing onto it, otherwise it mike take another day or so to get it sewn together.
I went back to the gym for the first time since before Thanksgiving. They now have a Mommy and Me gym where I can workout during the day (instead of having to wait for hubby to get home or try to find a babysitter) and he can play. It's really great. The play area for him is covered with gym mats and foam blocks and different shapes for them to stack and jump or slide off of. There's also a climbing wall and I can't wait until he realizes it and tries it out for the first time. Once he does I won't be able to keep him off of it. He had a lot of fun and didn't want to leave, but after no exercise for several months I was ready to fall off the back of the treadmill after only thirty minutes (really I was grateful that I was able to go that long for my first time back). I don't think I'll go tomorrow, but Friday I'll be back in there. I'll need a day to rest because I'm sure that I'm going to be hurting tomorrow. Or maybe I will and just take it easy to stretch things out and keep it from cramping up. I don't know yet, I'll have to see how I feel. Right now I feel great which means I did just enough at the right intensity. In the last five minutes I really thought I was going to lose my legs and go flying off the back of the treadmill (LMAO just thinking about it). Right now I feel just about perfect :-)
top left: blanket before washing; top right: blanket after washing; bottom left: hat before construction; bottom right: finished hat on cutie model

No comments: