Sunday, February 10, 2008

Do U Ukulele too?


Another Valentine's gift was bestowed on me today. Actually I don't know if it's really a Valentine's gift or just one of those things that he's been wanting to get me for awhile now and just got around to it today because we were in the store. Anyways, it's a little ukulele from JB's Ukulele Hut. I got the smallest (and I think cheapest) one that they had. The premise here being that I can learn on a little one and then upgrade to a bigger one if it proves to be a genuine interest and then pass the little one onto my daughter who seems keen (at this moment in time) to learn how to play as well. If not then I'm not out as much money as I would have been and I can still pass it on to my little ones. You get a free hour lesson with your purchase and then you can buy more lessons (three months worth for $60 a month/ once a week for 30 minutes each). Right now I'm getting my fingers conditioned by holding down the strings as if I am playing and I'm trying out strumming to a rhythm although all my "songs" sound like crud because I can't seem to get the darn thing tuned. I'm sure that I'll learn, but for right now it is the bane of my existence. I have a guitar as well (one that is a bit on the big side for me) and I'm hoping that learning the ukulele will spark a reinterest in learning the guitar. The interest has always been there, there was just the lack of lessons and the frustration of not having someone to show me how. I can't seem to pick it up from a book like I can other things (namely knitting and other crafts).
I really like my little ukulele and I'm hoping to learn how to play Somewhere Over the Rainbow on it. You know the song that I'm talking about, done Hawaiian style by the guy whose name I could never hope to pronounce, much less actually try to spell right now. The hubby seemed excited about the purchase as well and already has tales of me cutting a CD a year from now after I get my more expensive ukulele upgrade. He has our daughter living in Hawaii, playing to millions, and inviting us to vacation with her for months out of the year. It's nice to have dreams ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

His name is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole but if you just put Bradda Iz everybody will know who you're talking about.

Oh, and the soprano uke (the small size) is not something you "graduate" out of. It's a fine size all by itself. If you want to play one of the larger ones, that's good too.

Anonymous said...

howlin' hobbit, I agree. In fact, although I have 2 concert sized, 2 tenor sized and about 10 soprano-sized ukes, I recently purchased a Ohana sopranino ukulele. This is smaller than the soprano and has a great sound for its size!

-UKISOCIETY