Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Things that I Think of

Still working on my finger callouses, but I won't be able to take my first lesson until after the start of March. I've been trying to tune my ukulele, but it just doesn't sound quite right. I might just be too much of a perfectionist, but the sound that I'm trying to get seems to be inbetween where it is and where it goes when I tweak the tension just a smidge tighter. It's maddening. What I need is an actual ukulele that's already tuned to be played so I can hear the notes and then tune mine. I can only find small tracks online of the notes and they don't sound like anything that I can make with my strings. I even tried using the piano on Garageband and playing the same C note over and over again to get the third string tuned, but it never sounds right. It always sounds a bit too high or a bit too low. Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
I bought a few skeins of yarn this week that I'm really excited about. One is a Colinette fingering weight in Salty Dog ( a medium blue that is just so gorgeous I knew I had to make a pair of socks for myself and hopefully have enough left to knit a pair for my boy). I love the color and the name was so great I had to buy it. Just HAD to. I also picked up 12 balls of Rowan Cashsoft for the Jess Gansey pattern featured in Interweave Knits (the actual pattern is found on their website for free). It's a really nice pattern using a fingering weight on really tiny needles. I'll be done with it in about ten years and then I'll give it to my mom (ha ha ha). Hope it doesn't take that long to finish. I also have to look and find yarn to start my Buffyknits project. I was going to start with the hot pink mock boat neck sweater that Buffy sports in one episode (I'll look through my DVD's and find the actual episode so you can see the one that I'm talking about), but with everything else that I'm trying to get done I'm thinking a chunky knit would be a better jumping off point. There are several to choose from from the fourth and fifth seasons. There's a beautiful brown sweater knit in chunky stockinette and a grey tweed with shots of garter stitch worked intermittently though a stockinette. The choices are limitless and with me starting with a size small enough to fit a six year old will make it all go faster (although with a chunky knit I might just go ahead and size for an adult.....my skinny friend comes to mind.....she'll need sweaters once she moves back to Michigan or Washington).
Where to go next has been a topic of conversation as of late. We've been here in Guam for over a year now and have two more to go. I would stay here if I could import all of my family that I miss or if it was easier (and cheaper) to go and visit all my family. The weather here beats out every place that I've ever been. It gets hot some days, but the percentage of beautiful days can't be beat (unless you live in Hawaii). We're thinking of San Diego, but talk has also drifted to Spain, Italy or Florida. When I think of a place to live, ultimately the first thing that I think of is " What is the probability that someone will nuke this place?"
I don't know why, maybe too much Jericho and Sarah Conner Chronicles (although it was something I though of before then). The second thing I think of are all the natural disasters that can occur and the probability of them. Once a place has been deemed safe (ish) then it's given the thumbs up. San Diego is the first place I think of when thinking of the first place an enemy would nuke, but the weather is nice and I have family that I want to spend time with there AND if given a choice I want to be incenerated immediately (at Disneyland while riding the Haunted Mansion, ha ha ha!) as opposed to trying to survive in the aftermath or getting radiation poisoning and dying a slow painful death. Besides, there are so many things to do around there that you can get in a lifetime of living in just a few years and that outweighs the nuclear halocaust that may be. These are the things that flit through my mind at odd times of the day. It's weird and quirky and my brain is always very matter of fact about it.

No comments: