Thursday, January 10, 2008

What a Wonderful World over the Rainbow

Still feeling good today, which is a big deal. I think the last few days of realizing what was bugging me was key. I've known since right after Thanksgiving that I was dragging from something emotionally, but couldn't define it. I feel free and clear now, but I'm also wondering how long it's going to last. I'm going to enjoy it until it's gone and hope that it never goes away.
Big news out of our camp. We had a trip to the ER last night. My eldest cracked her chin on a curb while we were leaving her school. I took her to the school nurse because I didn't have anything clean to press on it to stop the bleeding. It was very obvious that it was going to need stitches as soon as she lifted her head because a piece of her chin was hanging down like someone had grabbed it and tried to rip it from her face. The nurse patched her with steri- strips and some gauze to help stop the bleeding until we could get to the ER. I figured it would stop the bleeding, but once we arrived at the ER I turned to look at her and there was blood coming through the other side of the gauze. They stitched her with three stitches. The hardest part was numbing her for the stitches. They had to wrap her like a burrito. She didn't like the feel of the lidocaine (it does burn quite a bit AND they were poking her where it was open..... tell me who likes that), but she was quiet and still for the actual stitching (I thought she had passed out). It was still bleeding a little this morning and I'm hoping it doesn't get infected and heals like it's supposed to. The wound was never irrigated, but it was bleeding good and blood is your body's natural irrigation. She's only five so I think she did really good. My son is the one that jumps off of everything and bounces all over the place like he's trying to hurt himself and has never needed stitches. This is number two for my girl (last time was the chin too and she got liquid stitches that time so it wasn't as bad).
It's raining here today. ALOT. I woke at 3 in the morning to really loud thunder. After awhile I thought maybe the navy was bombing something because it was so loud, but I didn't see any lightening. One little fact about Guam is that we have a rainbow here almost everyday (at least every other day). Sometimes they look so close that you swear if you keep driving/ walking that you'll make it to the end of it. I saw one that looked like it ended in a parking lot in front of me. One end always touches land and the other goes off out to sea. Are we really somewhere over the rainbow? :-)

No comments: