Sunday, January 27, 2008

Knit and Sail

I found a Buffy knits KAL. I was going to knit a sweater at a time and post on my blog, but I might join this knit a long. So far it just looks like people are making up or using patterns that fit the characters and then giving them names to Buffize them. I'm more interested in recreating the actual sweaters that they wore on the show. One person has actually done that with the Initiative sweater (kudos to them) and I hope to continue with Buffy's cotton candy boat mock neck sweater from season four. After that I want to do Willow's yellow and orange overlay from the Thanksgiving episode in season four. I've started mapping out the stripes (which is hard when someone keeps moving and you never get a complete view of the whole sweater). I'm going to make them for my daughter first which will insure that I won't need as much yarn and it will take less time. From there I can size everything up. If I get halfway through a sweater for her and then have to rip it, it's not as bad as if I have to rip out a sweater for myself since my daughter's only five and a very skinny little kid.
I'm still plugging away at all the socks that were supposed to be done by Christmas. I had sock burnout and had to stop for a week, but I think that I'm ready to continue. I still have yet to get a pair done. I have three out of eight socks done (one of which will be ripped and reknit because the heel is different..... so really I only have two and they're both from different pairs). I also still owe my mom socks from her birthday (which was in before Christmas) and a pair for Christmas. I have one of her socks done, but the ankle is a little too short. I wonder if I can unravel the first round, pick up stitches, and add onto the cuff without it looking "off". I can only try and if it doesn't work then I'll be forced to rip the whole sock and start over (which I really don't want to have to do). I am a FROG. Rip-it, rip-it!!!! Once I get all these socks done then I can get the rest of the projects that I started before the holidays done, one of which is a cardigan for myself. There's a lot of things that I want to get done and if I would just sit down and do them they would be done already. I've been spending most of my time sleeping because of stomach pain. It starts hurting and I lay down on my right side so that it doesn't hurt as much and then I fall asleep.
I started taking my Addyrall again. I think it was the five pounds that I gained this week. I've been off of it for three weeks and haven't gained anything back, but I was noticing that I was hungry on a massive scale and never seemed to get full. I don't know if that's back lash from coming off the Addyrall or if it's the birth control. Probably a little of both. On the Addyrall I lose weight without having to try, but I also don't eat. I have to force myself to eat two or three bites at each meal so that I don't burn out after a week from starvation. The Addyrall also raises my body temperature. I get HOT when I've taken it, but it helps me concentrate and helps with my fatigue so that I can get through my day without needing a nap, plus I get back on a regular sleep schedule. It helps me out all around..... at least for the first week or so. After that I think it builds in my system and gets to be too much so I have to take a week off to rehydrate, fuel back up on food and get more sleep (it starts to screw up my sleep to where I have trouble going to sleep). Maybe taking it every other day would work.
Anyways, onto knitting and hopefully taking up a few sports here soon. I'd like to start hitting the gym and maybe do some kite boarding and scuba diving. I want to at least get scuba certified before leaving the island. This place is also great for kite boarding because we get some great wind, but it can be dangerous. If you get a big up draft you can get lifted really high and then smack down.....hard. We had one guy die on the pacific side of the island and several people have gotten hurt. I also want to take my kids fishing. They want to ride on a boat and I want to catch a fish with them. Little fish that they can reel in...... not Marlins and Mahis. I wonder how long they'll be on the boat before they get bored? I would also like to learn how to sail and maybe get certified. You can take classes to become a captain , but enough certification to sail would be enough for me. I already kind of know how to because my dad takes me sailing when I go and visit him and I've always loved that. I'm in charge of the jib line, I get to run from one side of the boat to the other, dodging the main sail as it swings to the other side, and pull the jib line nice and tight and securing it. I've always taken it seriously. To be honest our boat is so small that you can sit at the rudder and grab the jib line to tighten from where you're sitting (meaning it really only takes one person), but that's the job I am charged with when we sail and I do my job. We've had a bigger boat where I actually did have to run from one side to the other to pull the jib tight. That was really fun.

No comments: