Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Miracles

Everytime I start to really question my beliefs as far as God is concerned, something happens that makes me believe even stronger then I did the day before. Today something like that happened. Growing up I went to church and was filled with faith and belief that God existed. I often times had dreams where someone (either an angel or Jesus) would sit and talk with me and would tell me that something was going to happen. After those dreams I would wake and remember in vivid detail everything and those dreams always felt so real. Then the thing that they had said would happen happened. When I became a legal adult I left the church partially because I couldn't stand the hypocrisy and bigotry that Christians showed towards people. Christ's message had always been about love and acceptance, but my fellow churchgoers talked about others behind their backs or didn't accept them because they had a blemish on their record. My other reasons were anger at a difficult situation (I still don't know if I was angry at the people involved, myself, or God on that one) and like most Christian teens found the world to be different then the little Christian bubble that I had been living in until then. Everything had been black and white and now suddenly everything turned grey. Every once and a while I still get a dream telling me about what's to come...... just not as often as before which I can understand because I don't converse with God daily and had begun to wonder if He existed or if we just believe so that we feel we're part of something bigger. I remember one time when I was deep in the trenches of trying to figure out the existence of God he sent me a quirky miracle that made me believe. My hubby and I took the kids to Barnes and Nobles in Hilton Head (which was about 30 minutes from our house at the time). We got there and got the kids out of the car and locked all the doors....... only to realize that the car was still running. I had left the keys in the ignition and locked the whole thing up. At the time I laughed because we had at least gotten the kids out. I knew it would take about thirty minutes to get someone to come out and pop the lock and we didn't have the money to pay for the service so we were in kind of a bind. For once I didn't panic and thought we could go into Barnes and Nobles and call around and maybe see if the police still jimmied cars. There was a guy on a ladder working on the doors at the entrance of the bookstore so I decided to ask him "Hey do you know if cops will still come out to jimmy a car because we locked our keys in the car and it's still running?" He replied "No they don't........ but I'm a locksmith." He jumped down off of his ladder and had our car open within five minutes and even made us a spare key for no charge. How crazy is that?
Nowadays if I pray to God it's regarding someone else. My sister-in-law found out she was pregnant. She already has a 13 year old son, was getting ready to start her career and was recently diagnosed with diabetes. If she were to go through with the pregnancy it could really hurt her health because she couldn't get her blood sugar under control and she was wrestling with the decision of whether or not to get an abortion. She didn't want to but she was afraid for her health as well. Last night I just said to God "I don't even know what the right answer here is. If you can find a way to make it work........" Today He made it work. She went in for a few day stint in the hospital to try and get her blood sugar under control and when they did the ultrasound the baby's heart was no longer beating. She had miscarried. Now that may not seem like a miracle to most people, but God took back a baby to heaven and eased the mind and body of my sister-in-law who doesn't have that gut wrenching decision to have to make anymore. He made it work.

No comments: