Monday, February 26, 2007

Wondering


I have thought about limiting myself and just trying to use what I have for the create along that I have joined. I have three skeins of Tahki in pink so really it limits me to making something for G. Something about the size of a tank or short sleeve top. My original idea though was to make her a dress. She loves playing dress up and I thought that I could possibly use Tahki as the base and then combine Kidsilk Haze with the Tahki in the skirt. I have yet to decide whether or not I want to combine or use the Haze as a lacy overlay. I have a few ideas rolling aorund in my head and I think that I'll also make footie pyjamas using Rowan Calmer. G loves footie pyjamas and she's gotten to the age where we can no longer find them in her size. I know what you're thinking........ You live in Guam!!!! Why does she need footies?.......My house is an icebox and it's about comfort. I will probably make some for myself if this works out the way that I hope.......and if I can afford it.
Meanwhile I continue in my endeavor to unpack. I don't know why I bother since I never finished unpacking from the last time that we moved. I have thought about just throwing out all the boxes that I haven't opened because it seems obvious that I don't need anything in them. Then there's that fear that I might throw out something that I think is important and I might need forty years from now. I am happy that I have only kept about 30% of everything that I have unpacked so far. The rest went off to the local Goodwill. You never realize how much junk you own until you have to pack it and then unpack it again. I know that we'll be making another move in the future and so I'm hoping to pare down now. By the time that we move I will probably have accumulated just as much as I had before, but at least it won't be double.
When moving to Guam pack only one large bag and one carry-on. We had eight bags, two carseats and two toddlers when we arrived. It was CRAZY! Let the rest of your stuff go with the movers.
Thought I might throw in a few interesting tidbits about Guam, just for anyone who is wondering. When I first learned that we were moving here I thought " Oh that sounds great.......wait....where is Guam." I had listened to a Podcast that is a radio program in Guam and it played Latin music, so I automatically thought it was somewhere in Central or South America. And then my brain kicked back into gear and I knew it wasn't anywhere near there......but where is it?
It sits below Japan, above Australia, to the left of Hawaii and to the right of Indonesia and the Phillippines. It's a big tourist area for everyone from Japan, which can be a bit of a pain for a big girl. All the stores cater to the Japanese and they are tiny, tiny, tiny. The local Chamorran women are very robust, but I have yet to be able to find where they shop. Most of them wear tees and a sarong as a skirt or the ever popular Muu Muu. The water here is clear and blue and the island is surrounded by coral making it ideal for snokeling and scuba diving, but bad for surfing. The villages here are beautiful and colorful and when I get the pics I will post them. There are a lot of dogs called "Boonie Dogs". In fact you can't drive one mile without seeing a dog and going out on your own hiking without a big stick, pistol, or BB gun is really not a good idea. There are plenty of beaches and places to hike and it's always breezy enough for wind or kite surfing. We have earthquake tremors just about every week and at least one earthquake a month big enough to rattle the walls and wake you from a dead sleep. They both excite and scare me and as long as they stay little it'll be okay. They did have a eight pointer several years ago and there was no damage and no deaths. Every building is made of concrete because of the earthquakes and the occasional typhoon that hits. There are a few tin topped houses that still stand.....surprisingly by the coastline. Ants run rampant here. In fact they will take away anything that sits for more then one hour in the same spot and my poor cat is constantly having to share her food with them.

Other wildlife includes the pretty yellow geckos, green lizards and the toads that sit on my back porch like they're waiting for a cab. For a small island there are a lot of places to go and lots of things to do. Three malls, a HUGE duty free shopping mall in the Tumon tourist area and of course all the beautiful beaches that you could ever want to go to and all the days out of the year to do it (barring any typhoons).
That's all I can think of for now and I think that I've blogged enough for today.

No comments: