Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hello and Welcome!


Wow! This is my first time EVER doing a blog and I am a little nervous. Being a novice I'l have to ask that you bear with me and any suggestions on how to make links and download things to make my blog nice and informative. I really don't know how informative I can be. I'm a knitter and that's what this blog is about. My knitting adventures. I actually created this blog out of a need for a blog name for a create along hosted by MindofWinter. I have been knitting for a little over a year now although I did more than once pick up needles in an atempt to learn the craft in my younger years. It was only over the holidays last year that I got completely sucked in and hooked. I thought I was alone in my addiction, but have since learned that there are others out there and some who are worse then me........but not many. I literally can not go a day without knitting. It can be sad at times. My hubby doesn't understand the yarn fetish and the coveting looks that I give my Addi's. Luckily my children love the fact that I knit......probably because most everything I knit, I knit for them. I do this for a few reasons......one being that it breeds fast results, instant satisfaction if you will,.....the other is that I have yet to be able to justify the cost of yarn that it would take to cover my big girl frame. I did break down over the holidays and order almost $200 in yarn and got enough to knit myself a pullover sweater in a silk/cotton blend that I've been eyeing for months. I found the yarn on sale........$3 a skein for the Classic Elite Patina, and so less tehn half of that $200 went towards the 20 skeins that I purchased for the sweater. The rest was spent on a huge cone of a linen/cotton blend that I'm still wondering what to do with. I may be a yarn ho but I'm a thrifty yarn ho although I did just recently spend $12.50 a skein on some yummy looking Farmhouse Lumpy Bumpy (it really looked very, very yummy). I'll have to see how yummy it really is once it gets here. I'm starting to rebuild my nerve in order to buy some Koigu KPPM for my first sock set. Yes I said my first sock set. I have knit a sock or two in the past, but have yet to produce a set. I'd like to try it as one of the first things that I knit for myself because I can't see myself being too disappointed with the look of a sock on my foot.
I do live on a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific far away from the States mainland, Guam. There is no.....I repeat NO....... LYS here. At all. None. Zip. Nada. I suppose it's because the local Chamorrans never took up knitting as a necessity since it is always 80 degrees or above during the day and never dips below 70 at night. The coldest I have been is in the house or local malls and they so sometimes tell you to pull out your sweaters because the forecast calls for temperatures in the lower 80's (no I'm not joking, you really do see people bundled up outside against the horribly cold 82 degrees). I see no need for jeans and sweatshirts in any temperature over 80 and the humidity here keeps it warm at night too. Inside is a different matter and we have all had to battle against the evil chill of the AC in summertime. I think one sweater and some socks will work just fine. My son is happy with his fuzzy nylon cap and his basic drop sleeve sweater that I made him before we left chilly Virginia in early December. My daughter profits from my love of skirts. I love skirts but I never wear them. I usually remember this halfway through a skirt pattern and wind up taking the front half, sewing the sides together and adding straps to make a cute summer dress for G as seen in the picture.
When I'm not knitting I'm reading. I LOVE the Harry Potter books ( I am on the edge of my seat from now until mid July), which features knitwear, I might add! I am also partial to the classics and mostly young adult award winners. I just resently finished A Single Shard and I recommend it highly to anyone looking for something short to read. I have also picked up The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan and have reread throught the entire Harry Potter series in the week after the publishing date for the seventh (and last- sigh) was announced. If I could I would spend my days in our local book store, reading, sipping lattes, knitting and listening to my IPod. That's the ideal form of relaxation for me.
I must add thought that another reason I decided to blog was that I have no one around me that understands the life of a knitter because no one I know knits. I get a lot of comments about aging myself before my time, " You're not a grandma yet, and you're not pregnant." That is until they recieve one of my "gifts" and come to see how invaluable knitwear is. They never say it but usually the derisive comments stop at that point. Want world peace? Then gift some knitwear :-)
If only it were that simple.

No comments: