Friday, July 13, 2012

Son of a Biscuit Eater!!!!!

Resolutions. Rereading I've realized that I am not going to get any of those resolutions done before the year is out...... and I. DON'T. CARE. Hubs got a job in his field of study so that when he finishes school in the Spring he can just keep working.... with a slight promotion. The kids are taking swimming lessons again this year and are learning more. I think their fears are starting to leave them and allowing them to actually learn. Doesn't hurt that we spent a week with the family and they were in the pool almost the whole time (hey, that was how we learned how to swim). I won't be finishing up my degree this year, but have had to go on hiatus until the hubs gets done. He's going to be working and going to school full time so there won't be any time left for me to try to puzzle in a class schedule. I can get into a pottery studio when he's not working though so I'm hoping to do that and keep going with my throwing. I was getting really good at making mugs and bowls. I would like to expand my abilities though. Not much knitting was getting done while I was in school, but I'm getting back into it as I've had the summer semester off. I went really ambitious and am knitting a big cotton blanket for the hubs. He loves them but all the ones that I find in the stores snag too easily and I thought it would be a great item for him to have. I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be big enough though. I'm nowhere close to finished and it may take me several more months before I'm even halfway there. In other areas, I've taken up an interest in some other crafts. A few of which are making paper beads (now I just need some Judikins Diamond finish), viking knitting and making art journals. The art journals are a long term project, but I'm thinking about prepping books for other people and selling them or making some. I don't know if it would be legal for me to use an altered hardback book if I'm going to be selling them. I took two books that I got from a thrift store. Both are the children classic hardbacks, one is Anne of Green Gables and the other is Huck Finn. They are rewritten for a child, but I read the originals as a child and have no problem altering these books that don't have the whole of my beloved classics. I've started by ripping out pages here and there, gluing them together to make them two pages thick, and gessoing the pages to cover up the words and pictures with a white wash effect. I will be posting pictures. I know I'm going to be up all night working on these again. I almost have the Anne one done and the Huck halfway. I took the hubs old sociology book that he couldn't sell back and started altering it for myself (the other two are for my kids). I really like that it has a fold out in the front cover and can't wait to decorate it with all my favorite things. I've also been thinking about the Renaissance festival coming up and would love to get a sewing machine and take a crack at making my own (simple) costume. Then maybe I could go further and make a Molly Weasley outfit for Halloween this year and complete a small dream that I've had for the past three or four Halloweens.

No comments: